Visiting Deputy Chief of Party, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Location: Republic of Tajikistan
The primary purpose is to serve as Deputy Chief of Party of the USAID funded Farmer Advisory Services Tajikistan Program (FAST) in Tajikistan. The FAST program is a cooperative agreement administered by the Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics. The incumbent will be based in the Republic of Tajikistan.
The Visiting Deputy Chief of Party is directly responsible for the agriculture extension development component of the activity. The Visiting Deputy Chief of Party will also serve as Acting Chief of Party, bound by the Scope of work for that position, in the absence or incapacity of the Chief of Party.
Appointment: The position is defined as a 100% time, 12 month visiting academic professional appointment. This position may become non-visiting in the future dependent upon funding and programmatic need. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The start date will be as soon as possible after the close date of the search.
• Under the direction of and in close coordination with the Visiting Chief of Party, the Visiting Deputy Chief of Party is responsible for achievement of the goals of the FAST program in Tajikistan related to the development of a system of participatory agricultural extension to reach small and household farmers in the FTF/T ZoI.
• Act as the primary point of contact to assist other USAID implementing partners in applying and refining the participatory agricultural extension system.
• Will have direct project management authority over a small group of Tajik specialists involved in developing, piloting, codifying and expanding the reach of the extension system.
• Carry out any other tasks as directed by the Visiting Chief of Party.
• The Visiting Deputy Chief of Party reports to the Visiting Chief of Party.
• The Visiting Deputy Chief of Party will frequently interact with the USAID Tajikistan Country Office.
• M.S. (PhD Preferred) in agricultural extension, agricultural development, agronomy, or a related field of study
• Significant experience in community organizing
• Significant experience in training-of-trainers
• Familiarity and significant experience in participatory extension/participatory rural analysis methods and methodologies
• Ability to work effectively without close supervision in a fluid, high-pressure, multicultural environment
• Significant previous experience in a country of the former Soviet Union, particularly Central Asia
• Native-level English required
• Russian and/or Tajik language proficiency highly desired
Application Procedure: Please create your candidate profile at http://go.illinois.edu/A1300399 and upload a cover letter and resume addressing your qualifications as they align with the job description. In addition, step one of the online application will require the names and contact information of three professional references. All requested information must be submitted via the U of I online application system by September 22, 2013 for your application to be considered for this position.
For further information about the position, please contact Andrea Bohn at email@example.com. For technical assistance with the online application process call 217-333-6747 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Illinois is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).